
The referendum voting on Ontario's new electoral system was a biased one. The major criticism is that people were not informed of this referendum. I agree with this. I myself was unaware of this until after the referendum had taken place. The worst part is that I would have voted for the new electoral system. The report given by the globe and mail also indicated that the largest number of people voting for the new electoral style, were the younger population. They also tend to be the people who are least informed about political issues. With more young adults aware of this referendum there might not have been a 63 percent defeat. To be honest I still don't know the full details of the proposed electoral system. I believe there should be a re-vote in a few years so that there is time for the news to spread of the new electoral system. This way would make the new vote less biased.
Here's a link to one of the broshure's for the MMP
http://www.equalvoiceinpolitics.ca/Resources/brochure.pdf
here's a site that describes what MMP is and gives posters ect.
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.citizensassembly.gov.on.ca/img/epk/Ontario%2520General%2520Election%2520-%25202003.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.equalvoiceinpolitics.ca/Resources/&h=1182&w=742&sz=80&hl=en&start=67&tbnid=4UDcVpZLZj_OYM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dontario%2Breferendum%26start%3D63%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D21%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN
No comments:
Post a Comment