Monday, November 19, 2007

Are tasers safe?

The Dilema of taser use was evident in the death of Mr. Dziekanski a few days ago. I am not writting this to protest whether the police should have done what they did. Mr. Dziekanski was clearly destroying property and police were right to move in. The question is why did they use it so long, and if the length of time had nothing to do with it, why is our police force allowed to use these weapons. I ahve seen on videos people being shocked for no more than 3 seconds being subdoed and unable to move, why then did the police find it nessesary to continue charging this man after 30 seconds when he was screaming in pain. Maybe it is police procedure to charge a man for that long, but if that is the case, why? why keep charging them when there is no need? In another article I read apparently 69 deaths had been caused by taser attacks in the united States since 2000. This means it is not soley a Canadian Problem. I believe they should either turn down the voltage or shorten the amount of time they shock their suspects because another incident like this could put the police force into suspicion.

this is the video of Mr. Dziekanski being tasered by police.

No comments: